Enphase Solar Power Inverters
Enphase Solar Power Inverters are in demand. One reason is how they simplify design and installation of your solar power system. Benefits include module-level maximum power point tracking for increased energy yield per panel, improved safety on the roof with the elimination of high voltage DC strings, and individual solar panel monitoring and troubleshooting.
Identify the power capacity
What is the inverter’s power output capacity? Usually, it is rated in Watts and there are three main classifications of power rating:
Continuous rating: This is the amount of power an inverter can handle for an indefinite period of time.
Limited time rating: This is the number of Watts an inverter can handle for a defined period of time, typically 10-20 minutes.
Surge capacity: This is the solar power inverter’s ability to start motors. A solar inverter that produces cleaner power such as the pure sine inverter delivers cleaner and more stable power than other inverters including the grid tie power inverter. The clean power is considered as the most efficient form of AC power to start a motor.
Like friction, some power must be lost in form of heat as it is converted from DC to AC. The ratio of (power out:Power in) is expressed in percentage. For instance, if the efficiency of an inverter is 90%, the remaining 10% is lost in the inverter. The efficiency of an inverter varies depending on the load.
An inverter’s efficiency will be at its peak’ when the load is at least two thirds above the inverter's capacity. When the electrical load is low, the efficiency of the inverter drops as well. Solar power inverter manufacturers provide a graph of efficiency vs load, and it is your work to properly study peak efficiency on the graphs and determine what is best for you.
Be careful though because, an inverter with a 95% peak efficiency might not be any better than one with 85% peak efficiency. Reason? If the latter is efficient at low power loads, then less energy will be wasted.
Availability of internal protection
An inverter has some very sensitive components that are bound to get destroyed by lightning surges or power overload. Therefore, when purchasing your solar power inverter, ensure it includes sensing circuits that helps shut itself off it it cannot handle an incoming load.
As you might have learned, choosing a solar power inverter is not a daunting task. By now, you probably understand the difference between a pure sine wave inverter and grid tie power inverter. This combined with the vital information you need to look out for in an inverter before making a purchase should be your guide next time you want a solar power inverter. We hope this information was helpful.